War Memorial, Georgetown, Halton Hills
The original memorial was erected in 1920, in memory of the local men who died in the Great War. It was later updated to include plaques dedicated to those lost in the Second World War and Korea. In 1960, the memorial was moved to its current location, and in 2000, received a major restoration and beautification program.
Location: Georgewtown, On the corner of James Street and Charles Street.
The three-sided cenotaph in Glen Williams
Built in 1971 by Gerlad Inglis. The cross, which weighs around 200 lbs., was hand-cut by the pair from freestone at the Inglis farm on 10th Line. It has served as the gathering place for Remembrance Day services for locals ever since. The cenotaph is located at Confederation and Main Streets in Glen Williams.
100th ANNIVERSARY OF THE POPPY
Madame Anna Guérin, later christened “The Poppy Lady from France”, inspired by John McCrae’s “In Flanders Fields”, had an idea: to adopt the distribution of the Poppy on Armistice Day as a way to raise money for Veterans’ needs and to remember those who had given their lives during the First World War.
In July of 1921 the Great War Veterans Association (which in 1925 would unify with other Veteran groups to form the Canadian Legion) adopted the Poppy as the flower of Remembrance.